Assuming you’ve read Part 1 — I contacted Verizon tech support and pointed out that they’d taken away my ability to delete my website. They would have to delete it for me, since there was no other way. That gave me my first indication that there was a problem with Verizon’s internal organization.
Personal webspace was managed by a mysterious group called the Operations Support Center, or OSC. The name doesn’t sound very mysterious, but they are completely insulated from and invisible to tech support. They refuse to engage with customers and won’t even speak directly to other components within Verizon.
It went like this: I called tech support, sat through their interminable hold queue, verified who I was four different ways, and told them what I needed. What I got back was the phone equivalent of a blank stare. It wasn’t the fault of the tech support person, who sounded truly distressed at not being able to help me, but Personal Web Space wasn’t on his radar because Verizon set it up that way. After a long consultation with the ubiquitous supervisor, they determined that they needed to contact OSC. I thought I sensed an ominous tone – apparently contact with OSC is something they shrink from.
OSC won’t interact with anyone by phone – they had to use a chat window. It’s bizarre. I’m dictating the request to my tech support person while he’s typing in his chat window and reading responses back to me, and he’s becoming more irritated every second because of the attitude he’s receiving from OSC, and I, the poor, innocent customer, have to watch this ugly sausage being made.
Finally, my request was acted on, and the website I’d spent countless hours on was taken down. This occurred in August, 2011, and I spent about a week rebuilding my site with Verizon’s online tools. The tools aren’t terrible, but anyone who builds websites will tell you the things he or she hates most are:
- tools that don’t always do what they’re supposed to do;
- tools that come with no documentation; and
- feeling limited by someone else’s idea of what a web design should look like.
Given all that, I got my website working, though it would have been easier at each step to build it myself, and it would have looked better. Then, last week, I noticed that my allotted space was nearly full. That didn’t make sense, because my new web site had to require a lot less storage than the old one. The old one was very heavy on graphics which took up a lot of space. The new one had hardly any graphics and fewer pages.
Verizon’s site builder includes a link that lets the user see a list of files stored in his space. When I studied the list I found that all the supporting files for the old site were still there eating my allocation. Our not-so-friendly friends at OSC hadn’t deleted my old website at all. They’d simply made it inaccessible.
I wanted my space back, though I knew that meant dealing with OSC and Verizon’s crazy process again. Thus began the horror show that I’ll describe in Part 3.